The new Virginia legislative session with Democratic majorities is now underway, and there will be hundreds of important bills flowing through committees in the both the House and Senate.
Committees and their members can be found here.
RichmondSunlight.com is a great website for understanding bills and reading comments from people who are tracking them.
Virginia LIS website is the official resource and a good one. There is livestreaming and recorded videos of committee discussions.
At our January 14, 2020 monthly business meeting we discussed how the Clarke Dems could research bills and be prepared to publish our own list of legislative priorities for future sessions.
If you want to keep track of bills that matter to you, here are some resources from groups that have set legislative priorities:
- Virginia Grassroots Coalition (Progressives) Letter on 2020 Legislative Priorities. See their Advocacy tab for a break down of bills by topic area.
- Virginia Justice Democrats legislative priorties
- Green New Deal Virginia HB77
- Virginia ACLU is tracking bills on voting rights and criminal justice reform. Here is their page on the session.
- Virginia Organizing released its list of legislative priorities. This is is a non-partisan statewide grassroots organization dedicated to challenging injustice by empowering people in local communities to address issues that affect the quality of their lives.
- Virginia Interfaith Center‘s 2020 legislative priority list